Wednesday 12 May 2010

Omar Souleyman/Konono No.1, Bristol Metropolis 11 May 10

I made my way to the Metropolis just in time to see Konono No 1 take the stage. They played their usual heady and dissonant stuff, and I was hooked from the first number. I remember their appearance at Womad a few years ago when I 'danced' solidly for an hour, and this set was even longer, so my knees will suffer, but what the heck - they are a great band. My only reservation was that the hand drums were mixed low and only rarely heard, which is a shame, as they contributed a much needed bass sound to the music. Never mind, it was a great set.

I've never seen Omar Souleyman live before and I confess I don't even have his CD, but he was great. Lots of dance beats and a soaring synthesiser accompanied Omar's vocals and the largely young crowd were loving it. Omar is a real crowd-pleaser, getting everyone to clap at just the right moments - a real clubby atmosphere and thoroughly fun.


No comments: