Sunday 4 April 2010

The new Doctor Who

David Tennant (my favourite Doctor) was a hell of an act to follow and I'm afraid Matt Smith is going to take a bit of getting used to as far as I'm concerned. He really does need to find his own style - at the moment he is trying to be a more sarcastic version of Tennant, although I do see the potential in him for a new 'darker' character compared to his predecessors. It certainly will be interesting to see how he inhabits the role and makes it his own.

His sidekick is interesting - she seems to have many of the qualities of Billie PIper and again it will be interesting to see how the relationship develops between them (assuming she's going to be a more or less permanent fixture in this season).

The show was well-written, but I'm beginning to detect a bit of a formula developing and I hope the new series avoids too much lazy writing. The 'Doctor leaves sidekick behind - she pines for him - but then he comes back in the end' routine is now wearing a bit thin. I'm hoping that the departure of Russell T Davies doesn't make too much difference, but, like Tennant, he was a hard act to follow and the writing will have to be top-notch to equal his input.

So yes, I'll give it 6 out of 10 but fully expect that score to rise as the season progresses and the new team settles in.

No comments: